CUIT invites Columbia University staff to submit proposals for experimentation and innovative use of emerging technologies for an administrative project. These technologies include (but are not limited to) 3D printing/scanning, AR/VR, AI, Machine learning, and drones. Submissions can be made on a rolling basis and five proposals will be funded each fiscal year, for the sum not exceeding $20,000.
Proposal Submission and Requirements
Request for proposal should include:
- Cover Sheet: Include the name, position title, the title of the project, description, department, and school information.
- Rationale: Write a strong, compelling rationale for the project.
- Proposal: No more than two pages and should include the following;
- Desired outcomes - If this has a measured outcome, please provide details
- Budget and justification
- Full-time Columbia administrators may only apply for this grant
- Non-consecutive awards
- This eligibility policy aims to ensure fairness, broaden the distribution of resources, and maximize the impact of our grant program by limiting consecutive awards to the same applicant. This policy aims to encourage a diverse range of applicants and projects.
- An applicant awarded the grant in the previous funding cycle will not be eligible for consecutive awards.
- Waiting period
- The waiting period is calculated from the end of the funded project or the last disbursement date, whichever is later. To be eligible for a subsequent grant, the applicant must observe a waiting period of 2-3 years from the date of the previous award.
- Example: If an applicant received a grant in the 2022 funding cycle, they will not be eligible for the 2023 and 2024 funding cycles. They can reapply in the 2025 funding cycle, following the waiting period.
Upon completion of the project, awardees are required to submit a summary report, not to exceed five pages. A budget sheet with details should also be submitted. Awardees may be required to present their projects at events and the work may be highlighted on internal Columbia and external websites.
Consultation with an emerging technologies specialist is strongly recommended before writing and submitting your proposal. To schedule a consultation please contact [email protected].