Partnering with the Office of the Provost and HP, CUIT is enabling and supporting Columbia faculty and researchers in developing next-generation applications in their respective areas of expertise.
We are excited to announce and be part of this year's Office of the Provost Teaching and Learning Grants with a new grant specifically for emerging technologies. The Office of the Provost provides funding opportunities for faculty looking to integrate new educational methods and technologies into their classrooms and learning environments.
The Emerging Technology Grant supports faculty members who want to experiment with new pedagogical strategies using emerging technologies in their classrooms to improve teaching and learning along with improving student engagement and outcomes. These grants are designed to promote innovative approaches with emerging technologies specifically involving augmented/virtual/mixed reality and 3D scanning/printing.
Awardees will receive in-kind support from CUIT and funds up to $20,000.
Examples of potential grant-funded expenses include:
- Augmented/virtual/mixed reality head-mounted displays
- Structured-light 3D scanner
- Desktop 3D printer including materials
- Computing hardware resources (ex: dedicated VR computing backpack)
- Augmented/virtual/mixed reality software packages
Partial funding and equipment sponsored by HP.
Proposal Submission and Requirements
Proposals should include:
- Cover Sheet: Include the name, position title, title of the project, description, department, and school information.
- Rationale: Write a strong, compelling rationale for the project.
- Proposal: No more than five pages and should include the following
- Desired outcomes - If this has a measured outcome, please provide details
- Budget and justification
- Full-time Columbia faculty may only apply for this grant
Funded projects are expected to submit a progress update and summary report. A budget sheet with details should also be submitted. Awardees may be required to present their projects at events and the work may be highlighted on internal Columbia and external websites.
Submission deadline: Monday, May 1, 2023, at 5:00 P.M.
Proposals may be submitted on a rolling basis to the InfoReady platform.
Explore past projects here!
Consultation with an emerging technologies specialist is strongly recommended before writing and submitting your proposal. To schedule a consultation, please contact [email protected].